Are You Ready To Raise Major Gifts?
Ten Key Questions with Alex Young
President, Development Systems International
Nonprofits who've experience stalled or failed fundraising campaigns quite often launched their initiative before building the proper foundation. Major Gifts Ramp-Up prepares your organization to answer the following questions with "YES" before you go public.
- 1. Have you grown your prospect base to a sufficiently large number of big-gift donors and can you identify others who may be interested in giving substantial amounts?
- 2. Is there wholehearted agreement among the administration, staff, volunteers and directors/trustees concerning the worthiness of your fundraising plans?
- 3. Are the trustees/directors and staff committed to the success of the project? Will everyone make personal sacrifices for the campaign - both in time and money?
- 4. Is top-level leadership available, leaders who will bring their networks to bear?
- 5. Can a sufficient corps of enthusiastic volunteers be enlisted to work on the campaign?
- 6. Is your organization well regarded and highly respected in the community? Are your services considered important and relevant?
- 7. Is there a valid need for your project? Can this need be communicated with urgency?
- 8. Can a large gift representing 15-20% of the campaign goal be secured prior to formally launching the campaign? Can one-half of the campaign goal be secured from 10-15 donors?
- 9. Have you implemented an effective public relations campaign that has introduced your "Case for Support" to the right people in your community?
- 10. Have you selected fundraising counsel that will ensure you answer the previous questions with "YES" before you go public?